asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Riyafa Abdul Hameed <riy...@apache.org>
Subject ASTERIXDB-1371: Support the standard GIS objects
Date Mon, 08 May 2017 15:51:19 GMT
Hi,

I have been selected to contribute to the issue ASTERIXDB-1371
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ASTERIXDB-1371> for GSoC this time.
This being the community bonding period I am trying to familiarize myself
with the code base of AsterixDB and to get a grasp of the task.

I am under the impression that the package *org.apache.asterix.om
<http://org.apache.asterix.om> *has the classes for handling data models
for AsterixDB and have been looking into them to figure out the
implementation details. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

I have also been reading on the specification for well known text[1] and
GeoJSON[2] and have been trying to figure out if implementing one of them
would suffice (if so which one) or if both needs to be implemented. If both
needs to be implemented we should decide which needs to be implemented
first. I was thinking of going for GeoJSON as it seems to have a wider
usage.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed with the project would be highly
valued.

[1] http://docs.opengeospatial.org/is/12-063r5/12-063r5.html
[2] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7946

Thank you.