asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Riyafa Abdul Hameed <riyafa...@cse.mrt.ac.lk>
Subject Re: ASTERIXDB-1371: Support the standard GIS objects
Date Fri, 12 May 2017 02:53:28 GMT
Dear Ahmed,

I agree with supporting GeoJSON. I would like to know what format is
currently used for implementation of point, polygon, circle, and rectangle.
I don't think it is GeoJSON and think that it's WKT looking at example in
the website
<https://ci.apache.org/projects/asterixdb/datamodel.html#PrimitiveTypesPolygon>.
Correct me if I am mistaken. It would be more helpful if I could find it's
documented somewhere so I could understand better.

Thank you.
Yours sincerely,
Riyafa

On 12 May 2017 at 02:58, Ahmed Eldawy <eldawy@cs.ucr.edu> wrote:

> Hi Riyafa,
>
> I'm glad you started looking into the details. I agree with Mike that you
> need to study the current geo support first. It will be highly desirable
> for your work to be compatible with the current support so that we can
> seamlessly unify the underlying code without disrupting the high-level API.
> As for the format, it would be nice to support both WKT and GeoJSON as they
> are both widely used. However, I think we should start with GeoJSON since
> it is becoming more popular with modern devices, e.g., GPS, smart phones,
> and IoT sensors. Later, we can support WKT as well. It will be a matter of
> writing a different parse function.
> Esri library [https://github.com/Esri/geometry-api-java] supports both WKT
> and GeoJSON. You can study it and see if we can use it in our project.
>
> Thanks
> Ahmed
>
> On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 7:11 AM, Mike Carey <dtabass@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I will leave it to the official GSC mentor (who's also a leading expert
> on
> > big spatial data) to direct - I was just suggesting that step 0 should be
> > to become familiar with what's already there currently, to have a working
> > knowledge of that as background.
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > Looking forward to seeing this project unfold!
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Mike
> >

> > On 5/9/17 10:14 PM, Riyafa Abdul Hameed wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> As I understand by playing with current support of GIS objects( point,
> >> polygon, circle, and rectangle) is similar to the Well known text
> >> format--correct me if I am mistaken. Hence initially we could support
> >> other
> >> GIS objects in WKT and support GeoJSON if time permits.
> >>
> >> Thank you.
> >> Yours sincerely,
> >> Riyafa
> >>
> >> On 8 May 2017 at 23:31, Mike Carey <dtabass@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I would also suggest playing with the current geo support in AsterixDB

> and
If

--
Riyafa Abdul Hameed