asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ahmed Eldawy <eld...@cs.ucr.edu>
Subject Re: ASTERIXDB-1371: Support the standard GIS objects
Date Thu, 11 May 2017 21:28:19 GMT
Hi Riyafa,

I'm glad you started looking into the details. I agree with Mike that you
need to study the current geo support first. It will be highly desirable
for your work to be compatible with the current support so that we can
seamlessly unify the underlying code without disrupting the high-level API.
As for the format, it would be nice to support both WKT and GeoJSON as they
are both widely used. However, I think we should start with GeoJSON since
it is becoming more popular with modern devices, e.g., GPS, smart phones,
and IoT sensors. Later, we can support WKT as well. It will be a matter of
writing a different parse function.
Esri library [https://github.com/Esri/geometry-api-java] supports both WKT
and GeoJSON. You can study it and see if we can use it in our project.

Thanks
Ahmed