asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ahmed Eldawy <eld...@cs.ucr.edu>
Subject Re: GSoC 2017 -- Support the standard GIS objects
Date Mon, 27 Mar 2017 17:42:53 GMT
Hi Riyafa,

I suggest that you start by familiarizing yourself with Java Topology Suite
(JTS) [https://github.com/locationtech/jts] and ESRI Geometry API [
https://github.com/Esri/geometry-api-java]. JTS has been around for a
longer time so I guess it's more stable. ESRI API has been launched
recently but it supports both Well-Known formats and GeoJSON which can be a
big advantage for us. You can start by investigating both of them so we can
decide which one to use.
For the record: JTS is distributed under Eclipse Distribution License and
ESRI API is distributed under Apache 2.0 License.

Thanks
Ahmed

On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 9:22 AM, Riyafa Abdul Hameed <riyafa@apache.org>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have created a proposal for this project and have shared the proposal
> with the apache community in the GSoC site. Also find the link below:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/12v-7FUNcPF6pkQZ-hkXfEirG
> 2oodr_bgFHkygDuptrE/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Please kindly provide your feedback on this proposal and any suggestions
> on how I could improve this.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Yours sincerely,
> Riyafa
>
> On 11 February 2017 at 11:32, Riyafa Abdul Hameed <riyafa.12@cse.mrt.ac.lk
> > wrote:
>
>> Dear Ahmed and others,
>>
>> I am keen to work with you on this project. I would like to get started
>> by familiarizing with the project by working on any relevant beginner
>> issues and through understanding GeoJSON format better. Any suggestions
>> would be highly appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Yours sincerely,
>> Riyafa
>>
>> On 11 February 2017 at 01:00, Steven Jacobs <sjaco002@ucr.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Here is the overall timeline:
>>> https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline
>>> On February 27th the approved organizations will be announced (apache has
>>> always been approved in the past).
>>> After that we will begin the process of becoming mentors for apache. You
>>> can start by joining the mailing list (mentors@community.apache.org )
>>>
>>> Steven

>>> this

>>> issue, so