asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Carey <dtab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JDBC Driver for AsterixDB and how other NoSQL dbs did it
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2017 18:13:14 GMT
Cameron, Siddesh, et al:

One more thought:  One thing that could be Very Cool about a JDBC driver
would be that it would enable the use of AsterixDB from BI reporting
tools.  It would be restrictive - it could insist that the queries
return flat/regular results (like when we export data results in CSV
form) - but it would be really enabling from a reporting tool users
standpoint. AsterixDB developers/analysts could then create views
(CREATE FUNCTION myview ( ) AS ...) whose results are flat and which
could be queried from the tool.

There are basically two potential target audiences for Java/AsterixDB -
app developers who want to write Java apps with an AsterixDB backend -
hence perhaps JPA - or analysts who want to hook AsterixDB up to their
favorite reporting tools - hence JDBC. (For the latter, the SQL++ query
language would have to be the target, and we'd have to see if the SQL
issued from them passes SQL++ muster.)

Cheers,

Mike