asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Till Westmann" <ti...@apache.org>
Subject Choosing defaults for AsterixDB
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2017 06:46:32 GMT
Hi,

as you know AsterixDB supports 2 query languages (AQL and SQL++) and many
output formats (ADM, clean JSON, lossless JSON, CSV). Our current defaults
for these options (at least on the web interface) are AQL and ADM.

I’d like to propose to change those defaults to be SQL++ and (clean) JSON.
The reason for wanting them to change, is that I think that these choices
are more attractive to new users of the system and thus can help to increase
the adoption of AsterixDB. A user with some database experience is much more
likely to have previous SQL experience and to feel at home with SQL++ than
having XQuery experience and feeling at home with AQL. Similarly, most users
will want to use the data that they get out of AsterixDB in an application
and it will be a lot easier to consume JSON than it is to consume ADM.

I've prepared a (tiny) change to change the defaults [1] and I'm wondering
if there are concerns that should keep us from making this change.

Cheers,
Till

[1] https://asterix-gerrit.ics.uci.edu/#/c/1409/