asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Till Westmann" <ti...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Improving reviews
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2016 06:49:30 GMT
Hi,

today a few of us had a discussion about how we could make the reviewing
process moving along a little smoother. The goal is to increase the
likeliness
that the reviews and review comments get addressed reasonably quickly.
To do
that, the proposal is to
a) try to keep ourselves to some time limit up to which a reviewer or
author
    responds to a review or a comment and to
a) regularly report via e-mail about open reviews and how long they have
been
    open (Ian already has filed an issue to automate this [1]).
Of course one is not always able to spend the time to do a thorough
review [2]
/ respond fully to comments, but in this case we should aim to let the
other
participants know within the time limit that the task is not feasible so
that
they adapt their plan accordingly.
The first proposal for the time limit would be 72h (which is taken from
the
minimal time that a [VOTE] stays open to allow people in all different
locations and timezones to vote).
Another goal would be to abandon reviews, if nobody seems to be working
on them
for a while (and we’d need to find out what "a while" could be).

Thoughts on this?
A good idea or too much process?
Is the time limit reasonable?
Please let us know what you think (ideally more than a +1 or a -1 ...)

Cheers,
Till

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ASTERIXDB-1745
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ASTERIXDB/Code+Reviews