asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hillery <chill...@hillery.land>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Improving reviews
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2016 07:13:06 GMT
It's always been my opinion that code reviews are a very nice-to-have, but
not more than that. The real value in proposing changes for review comes
from the automated testing that can be performed at that stage. I think
we'd be better served overall by shoring up and expanding our automated
testing rather than spending time discussing and implementing non-technical
process.

The main benefits of code reviews are catching large-scale design errors
and spreading code knowledge. You can't really have the former until you
already have the latter - if only one person really understands an area,
nobody else will be able to catch design errors in that area. That's
clearly a risky place to be, but IMHO at least it's not a problem that can
be solved through rules. It requires a cultural shift from the team to make
spreading code knowledge an actual priority, rather than someone everyone
wants but nobody has time or interest to achieve.

If we as a team don't have the drive to do that, then we should accept that
about ourselves and move on. You'll always do best spending time on
enhancing the strengths of a team, not fighting against the things they
don't excel at. I'm also not trying to make any kind of value judgment here
- software development is always about tradeoffs and compromise, risk
versus goals. Any time taken to shift focus towards spreading code
knowledge will by necessity pull from other parts of the development
process, and the upshot may well not be an overall improvement in
functionality or quality.

Ceej
aka Chris Hillery