asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Carey <dtab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Improving reviews
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2016 17:38:32 GMT
+1 on 72 hours as a strong guidelined as well. My thoughts are:

1. Code reviews are important - IMO we should most certainly not do away
with them.  This is especially true, I think, in a world where a number
of the contributors are grad students.  In addition to making sure that
all new code is reasonably "industrial strength" (for an open source
definition of industry), it's probably very valuable to their
longer-term education.

2. 72 hours will only be feasible (or reasonable) if people follow the
guidelines that are probably too often ignored - i.e., people need to be
more self-checking.  If something can be done independent of something
else, do NOT bundle those things.  If you are doing some refactoring as
part of a big technical change, first do the refactoring - then do the
change separately.  Changes involving large numbers of lines of code
throughout the system should almost "never" be complex technical
changes.  And if you haven't first addressed the automated comments, or
test failures - don't put your stuff up for review with people
attached.  (And if someone asks you to review something that's broken in
one of those ways, give it a fast negative review and move on; your time
should not be wasted on ill-prepared changes.)

3. We should indeed set up an automated e-mail that makes all too-long
reviews' statuses visible.  However, exceeding 72 hours should NOT
default to acceptance - that would defeat reviews - it should simply
lead to fair game to increasingly/publically harass the slow reviewer. :-)

4. If you aren't going to be able to review something, speak up right
away - don't just let things sit.

5. For substantial technical changes/additions, it would be nice somehow
(suggestions?) to have their review requests be accompanied by the
provision of a short design document overview-ing the change's design.

Cheers (from a Dilbert-manager-like guy on the team),

Mike