asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From abdullah alamoudi <bamou...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Improving reviews
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2016 18:33:26 GMT
Ceej,
You spoke my mind and I agree with every word. I believe the way to go is smoother code review
process (maybe through time limit) and more focus on automated testing. One thing we could
do is:
If the 72 hours period pass with no comments, we look at the code coverage and how much it
improved and based on that, either allow the change in or deny it. This will push change submitters
to add tests to increase coverage even before the 72h limit passes. This doesn't remove the
responsibility of doing the review. The review is still to be done. However as Ceej said:
One of the goals of doing the reviews is to catch large scale design errors. Those I think
still need humans to look at but they can be caught fairly quickly with minimal effort.

As for spreading the knowledge, will leave that to a different discussion. I will end this
with some tweets about code simplicity and changes taken from Max Kanat-Alexander, author
of Code Simplicity:

1. You don't have to be perfect. If you make a bad change, just fix it. (mistakes will happen
with or without reviews)
2. If somebody is improving code quality, don't shoot them down because their improvement
isn't perfect. (to reviewers)
3. The point is to have a maintainable system, not to show how clever you are. (to submitters)
4. Code quality isn't something you fix once and it stays good forever. It's something you
learn to do and continue doing.
5. Engineers don't beg, "Please let me build a bridge that will stay up." You shouldn't need
permission to write good software.
6. Anybody who tells you that you can fix years of bad code in months or days is a liar.
7. Even huge codebases can be refactored incrementally.
8. Sometimes a refactoring will break something. Often, this proves that the code was too
fragile and so needed the refactoring!
9. If your code "works," but it's an unstable pile of complexity, do you feel good about it?
10. Refactoring is often easier and more rewarding than you expect.
11. Don't try to write "perfect" code, just write *better* code until you have *good* code.
12. Don't worry about how to do the perfect refactoring. Just keep improving the code in small
steps.

I am glad we're talking about this. Cheers,
~Abdullah.