asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Yingyi Bu <buyin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: type name changes
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2016 16:12:03 GMT
>> I'm just worried about the backward compatibility.
>> If we change the definition (before:int for int64, after:int for integer
>> (int32)) and outside users that Mike mentioned did not have numbers
greater
>> than INT32 range, I think it's OK.

As I said, if they have created a dataset using the old DDL on an old
version,
nothing will break because in the metadata, the type is int64.

The only thing is that if they're going to create a new dataset based on
the new binary, they need to
be aware that int means int32.  Since we will notify them, I think it's
fine.

Best,
Yingyi

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 9:05 AM, Taewoo Kim <wangsaeu@gmail.com> wrote:

> I understood that other SQL based systems have int and bigint. What we used
> was "int" for "int64". I'm just worried about the backward compatibility.
> If we change the definition (before:int for int64, after:int for integer
> (int32)) and outside users that Mike mentioned did not have numbers greater
> than INT32 range, I think it's OK.
>
> Best,
> Taewoo
>
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 8:59 AM, Yingyi Bu <buyingyi@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  Taewoo,
> >
> >     >> So, can we use "int" for "bigint" to be consistent?
> >     That's not what other SQL systems do. We probably don't want to
> create
> > new conventions (or surprises) in this area.
> >
> >     Just FYI.
> >     Hive:
> >
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+Types#
> > LanguageManualTypes-NumericTypes
> >

> >     Postgres:
> >
> >     https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/datatype-numeric.html
> >

> >     MySQL:
> >
> >     http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/integer-types.html
> >

> >     MSSQL:
> >
> >     https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187745.aspx
> >

> > Best,
> > Yingyi
> >

> > On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 8:52 AM, Taewoo Kim <wangsaeu@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > So, can we use "int" for "bigint" to be consistent?
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Taewoo

> > int64

> > int64