asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Carey <mjca...@ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: Trio: AsterixDB, Spark and Zeppelin.
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2016 23:41:14 GMT
Kevin,

Thanks!  That helps a lot.  Now what we need to know (possibly above
your pay grade :-)) is what the timetable is for UCLA (i) wanting to get
the results of your assessment of how well what's there works and meets
their needs and (ii) wanting to put stuff into production (and at what
scale).  I don't anticipate the review and merging taking forever, but
this will be Wail's first AsterixDB code contribution - last I knew he
was addressing initial reviewing comments (and I'm not sure if all
reviews are done yet) - but I think we next need to ask
UCLA/Sean/Amarnath for the timetable info.

Cheers,

Mike

On 8/10/16 1:33 PM, Coakley, Kevin wrote:
> Mike,
>
> UCLA wanted a way to do use Spark’s Machine Learning packages with data stored in AsterixDB.
We started looking at the Spark connector as way to access the data in AsterixDB directly
instead of having to export the data from AsterixDB to a file and import the file in Spark.
I don’t know how this is fits into Amarnath’s projects, I was just following up on a request
from UCLA to see what would be involved in providing this Spark connector to others.

> The current status is: I have the Spark connector working in a test environment with
the queries provided by Wail. I was planning on loading a small amount of data into the test
AsterixDB server with the Schema Inferencer code and running my own queries, but I have not
had time yet. The issue with providing others with access to the Spark connector is the version
of AsterixDB that we are running that contains the Twitter data does not have the Schema Inferencer
code and therefor will not work with the Spark connector.

> I don’t believe SDSC would want to update the AsterixDB servers that contain the Twitter
data with the Schema Inferencer code until after it has been approved by you and merged into
the master branch. However, even after the Schema Inferencer code has been merged into the
master branch, we wouldn’t have it ready of people to use right away.

> I offered to load a small subset of the data from our main servers into my test environment
that has a working Spark connector for UCLA to test, but it sounds like they misunderstood
my offer.

> I would be happy to help you test the Schema Inferencer and Spark connector if you have
specific items that you want me to check, I can also give others that you select access to
test environment so they can run tests themselves. Otherwise, I will respond here if I discover
any issues.

> My current test environment is Zeppelin with the Spark connector on server A, AsterixDB
with the Schema Inferencer code on server B and a Spark 1.6.0 cluster running on servers C,
D and E.