asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Maxon <ima...@uci.edu>
Subject The "real" ADM format
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2016 03:17:13 GMT
Hi all,
After my experience with having to fix a rather large ADM file dump from a
query to make it load back into the system I was compelled to try my hand
at making that not happen again. The first thing I tried my hand at was
basically what I did to make the file loadable but inside the type
printers; just remove all of the 'i32' and so on suffixes, as well as
making decimals not formatted in scientific notation. This is pretty easy
to do as well, not a huge change code-wise (but obviously I'll have to fix
all of the tests).

This got me to think though, which is the format that we actually want? The
current format that is output, or the format that we accept in the loader?
Since this is actually perhaps a language level change either way I figured
I should find consensus before spending more time on it.

Thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
- Ian