asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hillery <chill...@hillery.land>
Subject Re: The "real" ADM format
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2016 03:53:26 GMT
If it's possible, I think it would be least confusing if the serialized ADM
format was identical to the corresponding data constructors in AQL. It
should be a goal IMHO that you can cut-and-paste an ADM file into the query
box in the web UI and the result would be the same as loading the .adm.

For more specifics, I think we need to write out for each data type what
the current ADM and AQL formats are, and then pick a final answer for the
type (which may possibly be different from either of the current forms,
although I suspect not). That will he the spec, and we can update the two
parsers (and all the test cases) accordingly.

I started an email thread sometime last year about something similar; I
think it was about JSON serialization, but it at least had the AQL side of
this story for all simple types, I believe.

Ceej
aka Chris Hillery