asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ildar Absalyamov <ildar.absalya...@gmail.com>
Subject Unsigned integers data types
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2016 22:27:00 GMT
Hi devs,

As I was generating various data distributions for statistics experiments one thing kept bothering
me.
All Asterix integer types (int8, int16, int32, int64) are signed. However majority of real
use cases does not require negative integer values. Seems like we are waisting half of the
data range on something which does not get used that often. I guess part of the reason why
we do that is because Java used to lack native support of unsigned integers. But since Java
8 there are methods which do unsigned comparison and division (summation, subtraction, multiplication
are the same in both signed and unsigned cases). So it seems like conversion to support unsigned
integers would not be that difficult.

Any thoughts on whether we need unsigned integers in the type system?

Best regards,
Ildar