asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Till Westmann" <ti...@apache.org>
Subject Re: new AsterixDB web interface demo up and running
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2016 07:10:12 GMT
Results for multiple queries are not that easy for the new HTTP API
design
[1] that we’re trying to finish right now. For that design we’re
planning to
have many statements, but to only return the result of the last
statement.
The challenge with multiple results is that the newer API also returns
quite
a bit of metadata (errors, metrics, signature) which would also need to
be
available in multiples and complicate the structure of the result
further.

Cheers,
Till

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ASTERIXDB/New+HTTP+API+Design

On 17 Jun 2016, at 2:45, Mike Carey wrote:

> Sounds like a bug in the underlying http UI?!  It would be nice to
> preserve the multiple-result-area approach that the existing web UI
> uses in that case, somehow...  It's interesting that this hasn't come
> up before - we should have test cases for the basic UI for that, I
> would think?
>

> On 6/16/16 5:24 PM, Ian Maxon wrote:
>> Kaveen and I talked about this earlier today actually, the result
>> (from
>> *DB) for the two above queries is actually fine and parseable JSON.
>> It's
>> just a labeling issue as the result is shown as if it were 3 records
>> rather
>> than 3 lists.
>> A more vexing question however that came up is what to do about
>> multiple
>> queries in one submission. Right now those come back as multiple JSON
>> objects appended to each other apparently.
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 5:14 PM, Mike Carey <dtabass@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> @Ian & @Chris:  Can you provide some helpful hints in the direction
>>> of
>>> parsing returned ADM?  (Since you are kind of addressing that as we
>>> speak
>>> for other reasons?)
>>>
>>> @Kaveen:  Off to a cool start!  In terms of the sorts of things that
>>> can
>>> come back, *conceptually*, the return clause of a query can yield a
>>> scalar
>>> value, an ordered list, an unordered list, or a record.  (The
>>> various
>>> possible scalar values are all of the data types listed in the ADM
>>> data
>>> model spec.)  A for-clause actually always returns a list of
>>> whatever the
>>> return clause says to return - and a let-clause (I believe) or a
>>> standalone
>>> expression can return a singleton object (of any of the
>>> aforementioned
>>> forms) if I'm not mistaken.  For testing the Web UI, it would
>>> probably be
>>> worth coming up with a set of test queries that returns each of
>>> those
>>> things.  (Mixed of them are also possible - life in semistructured
>>> data
>>> land can be messy.)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Mike