asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From abdullah alamoudi <bamou...@gmail.com>
Subject Additional Documentation
Date Wed, 25 May 2016 21:11:23 GMT
Hi dev,
Recently, I have been working on introducing NC to NC messaging for
different messages needed to be communicated between different NCs. Right
now, our current NC to NC network communication is only used for job
communication to send data in the Hyracks job pipeline.

I have completed the implementation of additional network communication
interfaces using Netty when I was asked to check the feasibility of using
the existing infrastructure to perform this task.

As with every task that requires complete understanding of some existing
AsterixDB / Hyracks components, I had to spend sometime reading and tracing
code. During this, I started two documents:
1. Node Controller Bootstrap: In this document, I list the sequence of
actions taken when the NC starts up.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ASTERIXDB/Node+Controller+Bootstrap

2. Node Controller Network Threads: In this document, I list the different
network threads and how each of them work.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ASTERIXDB/Node+Controller+Network+Threads

We still need better and more documentation of what components we have,
where they live, what they do, and how they work. If you can help achieve
that, then please do. At least, if you find yourself in a situation where
you need to do some code reading to understand something, take the
opportunity to contribute to the documentation.

Hope others make good use of these,
~Abdullah.