asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hillery <chill...@hillery.land>
Subject Re: Commencing work on ASTERIXDB-1375 : Revise web UI
Date Fri, 20 May 2016 07:52:03 GMT
On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 12:34 AM, <u.k.k.rodrigo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Chris,
>

> I was planning to do the incremental commits to my fork and then at the
> end of the summer to push my branch upstream,
>

> Will this be a problem?

If you rebase your work regularly, then you shouldn't have a problem
proposing your changes all at once at the end of the summer. However I
still think it will be easier both for you and for your reviewers if you
propose smaller changes for review more often rather than saving everything
up.

> Or should I work on the main repo (in a branch)  and commit there,

You won't be able to literally commit to the main repository, even in a
branch. (I'm assuming that you're not an Apache Committer on the AsterixDB
project - correct me if I'm wrong.) You should clone the Apache GitHub
mirror instead.

You could fork that mirror if you want, but if you do so, you'll need to
keep the fork up to date in addition to rebasing your work. It's possibly
worth doing if you are going to be batching up a lot of work before
committing, because the fork then serves as an off-site backup of your work
in progress. It's not really *necessary* to have a fork unless you intend
to collaborate frequently with other developers, though.

I did setup a Gerrit account, that's only for review right?

It's for review, yes, but a successful review is a pre-requisite for the
code to actually get committed to the main repository. If you've never used
Gerrit before, there's a bit of a learning curve and setup necessary.
That's another reason I suggested more frequent commits - that way you
figure out how to work with Gerrit in, say, June, instead of having to deal
with those problems for the first time right at the end of the summer.

Ceej
aka Chris Hillery