asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Till Westmann" <ti...@apache.org>
Subject Re: standardize indentation for XML files
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2016 04:07:12 GMT
Hi Jochen,

On 15 Mar 2016, at 12:20, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 8:14 PM, Michael Blow <mblow.apache@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Currently XML files in asterixdb (including hyracks) have a wide
>> variety of
>> indentation schemes being used, often times within a single file,
>> which
>> makes maintenance quite painful.
>>
>> Please let me know your thoughts / opinions.
>
> My opinion (out of experience): *Never* bother with syntax, when XML
> is the topic. XML is about semantics, not syntax. Trying ti achieve a
> particular syntax will never work.

If we’d all use tools that represent the XML structure and if git
would
provide a tree diff for XML, I think that I might agree with you.
However, my current reality is that I use a text editor to edit XML
files and git’s diff is line oriented.
So I think that consistent indentation of XML is helpful. And since XML
processors don’t care about non-significant whitespace it also
doesn’t
hurt them.

I’m in favor of a common indentation scheme.

Cheers,
Till