asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Till Westmann" <ti...@apache.org>
Subject Getting up to speed on AsterixDB (was: [DISCUSS] Graduation from the incubator)
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2016 15:37:11 GMT
In the spirit of not hijacking the thread I’m trying to create a new
thread here.

On your question:
I think that getting up to speed is not quick and it is difficult. Even
for those of us with the 10+ years industrial experience the learning
curve is steep. As you said, the code-base is big and big pieces of it
are not trivial. There are a number of papers on the high-level
concepts, but the distance between those and the code is also not small.
And the learning curve is also steep for people at the universities.

We have been thinking about ways to ease the access to the code-base
e.g. by adding a few references and design docs to the wiki [1]. And
while I think that this is a step ahead it is not a solution.

Also, while I’ve found everybody to be friendly and helpful, nobody is
working full-time on easing the access to the code-base for newcomers -
this is usually a volunteer activity in addition to the day-job.

I think that the way that people have been able to get to the code-base
is to
- start at some piece that they think could use some improvement and
then to
- find our how it works and
- how it can be improved
and then move forward from there.

I’m sorry that I cannot suggest a better way here.
But maybe somebody else on the list has a better idea or can tell you
how they managed to overcome the initial hurdle?

Cheers,
Till

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ASTERIXDB/Home