asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation from the incubator
Date Mon, 21 Mar 2016 21:26:38 GMT
On 2016-03-18 22:17, Till Westmann wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> 1) I’m confident that everybody would very much appreciate if you
> and Henry and Ted and Ate and Jochen stayed on board and on the PMC!

I'm willing to join the PMC, at least for a while, to help with process related
work, like release validation or if needed dealing with the board.
But I don't intend to participate much on technical or community level, if
that's OK.

> 2) The reason for the question is (at least in my mind, not sure
> if everybody else reads it the same way) that we currently have 25
> Committers/PPMC members, which seems to be a relatively big number.
> Most of them came in as they contributed actively before we joined
> the incubator. And we clearly wanted everybody who had contributed
> to the project to be able to continue to do so and to go through
> incubation with the project.
> But a few haven’t interacted with the project during the incubation
> period at all (life happened :) ). There is no intent to penalize
> anybody (and I would expect everybody to keep their merit and their
> commit bit). But does it make sense to add everybody to the PMC
> and make them responsible for the governance of the project - even
> if their life has moved on? Or is graduation a point in time at
> which everybody should re-evaluate their level of participation?
> It’s not really an important decision, as non-participating PMC
> members probably don’t cause any damage, but listing people in the
> board resolution that might never participate again also didn’t
> seem right.
> Does this make sense? Do other projects have a similar situation
> at graduation? If so, what has worked for them?

 From a merit POV I'd say everyone on the current PPMC who actively contributed
to AsterixDB, before or after the move to the ASF, can and may join the new PMC.
But for some who no longer are actively involved and don't expect to become
involved again it might also be OK to not join the new PMC.
Why not ask every PPMC member to state their wish?

Ate

p.s. +1 for Till as VP and PMC Chair

> Cheers,
> Till
>
> On 18 Mar 2016, at 9:56, Mattmann, Chris A (3980) wrote:
>
>> The team needs to keep in mind:
>>
>> 1. Many of your most active members are not ASF members and
>> thus representation amongst the foundation will be limited.
>> 2. You will want to have ASF members, moreover the board considers
>> this as a PMC composition when it reviews the resolution to create
>> the project at the board meeting.
>>
>> It’s your community’s choice as an FYI, but keep the following in
>> mind:
>>
>> 1. Merit doesn’t expire. Whether someone ever contributed, or
>> are actively contributing, or not. Life happens, and you don’t
>> want to penalize people when that’s the case.
>> 2. You should consider having at least 3 ASF members go on with
>> the project regardless (so that your project can be presented in
>> future Members meeting electing new members etc etc.)
>>
>> I’m fine to retire from the PPMC and be omit from the PMC no problem
>> on my end. I’ll see your great project around the Foundation should it
>> be approved as a TLP and I’m proud of how far you’ve come!
>>
>> Cheers
>> Chris

>> Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
>> Chief Architect
>> Instrument Software and Science Data Systems Section (398)
>> Office: 168-519, Mailstop: 168-527
>> Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
>> WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
>> Director, Information Retrieval and Data Science Group (IRDS)
>> Adjunct Associate Professor, Computer Science Department
>> WWW: http://irds.usc.edu/

CVs of the