asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Till Westmann" <ti...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation from the incubator
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2016 21:17:52 GMT
Hi Chris,

1) I’m confident that everybody would very much appreciate if you
and Henry and Ted and Ate and Jochen stayed on board and on the PMC!

2) The reason for the question is (at least in my mind, not sure
if everybody else reads it the same way) that we currently have 25
Committers/PPMC members, which seems to be a relatively big number.
Most of them came in as they contributed actively before we joined
the incubator. And we clearly wanted everybody who had contributed
to the project to be able to continue to do so and to go through
incubation with the project.
But a few haven’t interacted with the project during the incubation
period at all (life happened :) ). There is no intent to penalize
anybody (and I would expect everybody to keep their merit and their
commit bit). But does it make sense to add everybody to the PMC
and make them responsible for the governance of the project - even
if their life has moved on? Or is graduation a point in time at
which everybody should re-evaluate their level of participation?
It’s not really an important decision, as non-participating PMC
members probably don’t cause any damage, but listing people in the
board resolution that might never participate again also didn’t
seem right.
Does this make sense? Do other projects have a similar situation
at graduation? If so, what has worked for them?

Cheers,
Till

On 18 Mar 2016, at 9:56, Mattmann, Chris A (3980) wrote:

> The team needs to keep in mind:
>
> 1. Many of your most active members are not ASF members and
> thus representation amongst the foundation will be limited.
> 2. You will want to have ASF members, moreover the board considers
> this as a PMC composition when it reviews the resolution to create
> the project at the board meeting.
>
> It’s your community’s choice as an FYI, but keep the following in
> mind:
>
> 1. Merit doesn’t expire. Whether someone ever contributed, or
> are actively contributing, or not. Life happens, and you don’t
> want to penalize people when that’s the case.
> 2. You should consider having at least 3 ASF members go on with
> the project regardless (so that your project can be presented in
> future Members meeting electing new members etc etc.)
>
> I’m fine to retire from the PPMC and be omit from the PMC no problem
> on my end. I’ll see your great project around the Foundation should it
> be approved as a TLP and I’m proud of how far you’ve come!
>
> Cheers
> Chris

> Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
> Chief Architect
> Instrument Software and Science Data Systems Section (398)
> Office: 168-519, Mailstop: 168-527
> Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
> WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/
> Director, Information Retrieval and Data Science Group (IRDS)
> Adjunct Associate Professor, Computer Science Department
> WWW: http://irds.usc.edu/

Asterixdb

UC