asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Yingyi Bu <buyin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question on language translation for Algebricks
Date Sun, 14 Feb 2016 22:48:52 GMT
Hi Sandeep,

Here is the Hivesterix codebase in the Apache source tree:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-asterixdb-hyracks/tree/fullstack-0.2.13

We have maintained Hivesterix up to hyracks-0.2.13, but stopped maintaining
after that release. Mike has elaborated the reason.

>> Furthermore, none of these rewrite rules seem to be SQL-specific.  Are there
any SQL-specific rewrite rules which were added?
That's exactly the motivation of the Algebricks project --- most rules that
a typical SQL compiler implemented are not SQL-specific:-)
However, there indeed are few Hive-specific rules that I added in order to
get the Hive-on-Algebricks plan work efficiently:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-asterixdb-hyracks/tree/fullstack-0.2.13/hivesterix/hivesterix-optimizer/src/main/java/edu/uci/ics/hivesterix/optimizer/rules

The Hivesterix implementation first translates a Hive-optimized MR plan
into an Algebricks logical plan, and then let Algebricks do further
optimizations and finally execute the resulting Hyracks job on the Hyracks
runtime.

Best,
Yingyi