asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Must name and copyright of bundled (other) ASF artifacts be attributed in NOTICE file?
Date Sat, 06 Feb 2016 16:29:26 GMT
On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 5:28 AM, Ate Douma <ate@douma.nu> wrote:
> I'm helping out the AsterixDB podling assembling a first release with
> bundled binaries, and one of the advises I've given is that:
>
>   For bundled ASF artifacts you need to merge (at least) their name and
>   copyright year statement, to be compliant with ASL 2.0, section 4.d [1]

The risk of actual legal action in this case is minimal because it would be
one Apache project complaining to another :) but we still should do our best
to adhere to the terms of our own licensing.

Section 4.d of the ALv2 allows for some material in NOTICE to be omitted when
propagating its contents:

    http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0#redistribution

   ... excluding those notices that do not pertain to any part of the
   Derivative Works,...

So the question is, what parts of NOTICE pertaining to Apache projects must we
propagate, and what portions can we omit?  I'd say that the name of the Apache
project and the copyright statement ought to be bubbled up.

And this interpretation is consistent with the guidance in the Licensing
How-To:

    http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto#bundle-asf-product

    It is not necessary to duplicate the line "This product includes software
    developed at the Apache Software Foundation...", though the ASF copyright
    line and any other portions of NOTICE must be considered for propagation.

Marvin Humphrey