asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Carey <dtab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Upsert for metadata changes
Date Sun, 14 Feb 2016 22:49:06 GMT
An upsert would be fine, I would think; perhaps we didn't have it back
when that was done.
(Note that depending on which layer you are talking about, upsert is
synonymous with a
delete and then a (re)insert - though you are probably many layers below
my world at the
user level where that's the case. :-))

On 2/14/16 2:47 PM, Ildar Absalyamov wrote:
> A number of metadata-related changes, like creating a new index involves several stages:
> 1) Create an index with PENDING_ADD_OP
> 2) Bulkload the index
> 3) Delete the index with PENDING_ADD_OP and reinsert it with PENDING_NO_OP
>
> The last operation causes the issue with stats collection for particular index: sometimes
the stats are already persisted before 3) starts executing, so they are become a subject to
cascade delete, hence are lost.
> I was wondering why an upset is not an option for step 3 instead of insert-delete? Are
there any complications from transaction logging perspective?