asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Maxon <ima...@uci.edu>
Subject Proposal for alteration of criteria for automatic patch verification
Date Wed, 13 Jan 2016 23:34:41 GMT
Hi all,
I'd like to field the idea of changing the criteria we use to allow Jenkins
to give +1 verified on patch sets. Right now, it runs 'mvn verify', which
runs darn near about every test we have. While this was somewhat OK in the
past, I think now, and going forward, it takes a long time, and it will
only take longer as we make the integration tests more thorough.

Additionally, I'd like to expand and re-enable the automated vagrant-based
cluster integration tests, and unfortunately there isn't a simple way to
make these work inside a docker container. I can get it to work by hand,
but to make it automated I would have to fork or submit a patch to the
Jenkins Docker cloud plugin, and it might not be a small or particularly
clean/easy patch either.

I'd like to change the goal that's run in the automatic tests on every
commit to 'mvn test' rather than 'mvn verify'. This will still run all of
the ExecutionTest(s), and the optimizer tests, and so on. It will stop the
recovery tests and asterix installer tests from being run every time,
however.

However these tests are still certainly valuable, so I'd run them on a
timer, perhaps daily, so that we would still catch bugs that these tests
reveal rather promptly. Due to the fact we only commit a single digit
number of times to master each day generally, the granularity of which
commit will have introduced a bug will hopefully be rather low.

Thoughts/comments?

Thanks,
-Ian