asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache AsterixDB (0.8.8-incubating) and Hyracks (0.2.17-incubating)
Date Sun, 31 Jan 2016 22:41:54 GMT
Hi,

I've to vote -1 on this release candidate on incorrect NOTICE and LICENSE files
in most -binary-assembly.zip distributions (asterix-external-data- is OK).

What is OK:
- all artifact names includes incubating
- all artifacts have DISCLAIMER file
- no unexpected binary files in source releases
- All source files contain Apache header, or are reasonable to be excluded
- Can compile from source
- most .jar artifacts LICENSE and NOTICE files are fine

However the following binary-assembly.zip files contain incorrect NOTICE and
LICENSE files which "must be fixed" first (details below):
- hyracks-server-0.2.17-incubating-binary-assembly.zip
- textclient-0.2.17-incubating-binary-assembly.zip
- asterix-installer-0.8.8-incubating-binary-assembly.zip
- asterix-server-0.8.8-incubating-binary-assembly.zip
- asterix-yarn-0.8.8-incubating-binary-assembly.zip

In addition there are a few "should be fixed" (although not blockers), and
a bunch of recommendations I suggest to consider as well (may be done
in a later release as well).

Detailed comments per artifact:

* apache-asterixdb-hyracks-0.2.17-incubating-source-release.zip
   asterix-0.8.8-incubating-source-release.zip
- Why not also use "apache-" prefix for the asterix source release as well?
   And shouldn't the latter be called asterixdb- instead of asterix- ?

* hyracks-server-0.2.17-incubating-binary-assembly.zip
- DISCLAIMER file claims this to be about "hyracks-server" (correct)
   The NOTICE file says "Apache AsterixDB" (not incorrect, but not the same).
   Why not use "Apache AsterixDB hyracks-server" for both?
- Appended content to LICENSE file lists Apache Licensed 3rd party artifacts.
   While not wrong, ASL 2.0 licensed embedded 3rd party artifacts do not require
   to be mentioned in the LICENSE file, so better be left out in the future.
   (@Ian, I might have set you on the wrong foot for this specific case through
   our separate discussions, sorry)
- LICENSE file points to lib/junit-4.11.jar but lib/junit-4.8.1.jar is bundled.
   -> this should be fixed.

* textclient-0.2.17-incubating-binary-assembly.zip
- Wrong NOTICE and LICENSE files embedded!
   Looks like these files are from/for asterix-installer?
   This assembly needs its own NOTICE and LICENSE file!
   -> this must be fixed

* asterix-app-0.8.8-incubating.jar
- Appended content in the LICENSE file incorrectly points to source locations
   like src/main/resources/webui/static/js/jquery.min.js instead of distribution
   locations like webui/static/js/jquery.min.js.
   -> this should be fixed

* asterix-installer-0.8.8-incubating.jar
- Appended content in the LICENSE file for Apache Hadoop, which is ASL 2.0
   licensed and thus unnecessary to reference (see above).

* asterix-installer-0.8.8-incubating-binary-assembly.zip
- LICENSE and NOTICE file mostly look good, but are missing coverage for
   additional 3rd party artifacts under the embedded lib/ folder.
- Also note again the unnecessary references to ASL 2.0 licensed embedded
   artifacts in the LICENSE file.

* asterix-server-0.8.8-incubating-binary-assembly.zip
- Wrong LICENSE and NOTICE files embedded.
   These seems to be copied from asterix-installer. asterix-server needs its
   own NOTICE and LICENSE files.
   -> this must be fixed

* asterix-yarn-0.8.8-incubating.jar
- Appended content in the LICENSE file referencing 3rd party resources which
   are not in asterix-yarn at all (copy/paste error?)
   -> this should be fixed/cleaned up

* asterix-yarn-0.8.8-incubating-binary-assembly.zip
- Wrong LICENSE and NOTICE files embedded.
   These seems to be copied from asterix-installer.
   While asterix-yarn and asterix-installer share many/most embedded artifacts,
   the lib/ folder in asterix-yarn contains different (and more) other artifacts
   which also need to been covered by the LICENSE and NOTICE file.
   -> this must be fixed

* Not needed (empty) artifacts (also their -sources variants).
   Consider skipping these through maven-deploy-plugin configuration:
- hyracks-documentation-0.2.17-incubating.jar
- hyracks-integration-tests-0.2.17-incubating.jar
- hyracks-storage-am-bloomfilter-test-0.2.17-incubating.jar
- hyracks-storage-am-btree-test-0.2.17-incubating.jar
- hyracks-storage-am-lsm-btree-test-0.2.17-incubating.jar
- hyracks-storage-am-lsm-common-test-0.2.17-incubating.jar
- hyracks-storage-am-lsm-invertedindex-test-0.2.17-incubating.jar
- hyracks-storage-am-lsm-rtree-test-0.2.17-incubating.jar
- hyracks-storage-am-rtree-test-0.2.17-incubating.jar
- hyracks-storage-common-test-0.2.17-incubating.jar
- asterix-doc-0.8.8-incubating.jar
- asterix-server-0.8.8-incubating.jar

* hyracks piglet, textclient, texthelper and tpchclient artifacts.
- None of these have a hyracks- nor asterixdb- prefix in their name.
   While not strictly required, this is not a good practice.
   Preferably these artifacts should have a (apache-)(asterixdb-)hyracks- prefix
   in their artifactId.
   See: http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#naming
   and: http://incubator.apache.org/guides/release-java.html#best-practice-naming
- Furthermore their Maven project name also better be given a
   (asterixdb-)hyracks- prefix.
   The latter will help to get more explicit wording in the generated NOTICE and
   DISCLAIMER files.
   For example the DISCLAIMER for textclient current contains:

     textclient is an effort undergoing incubation at the Apache Software
     Foundation (ASF), sponsored by the Apache Incubator PMC.

   which is not at all indicative which project this artifact belongs to or
   comes from.

* asterix lexer-generator and record-manager-generator maven plugins
- As with the hyracks examples above these do not have asterixdb- in their name,
   same comments apply as above.

Kind regards, Ate