asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Till Westmann" <ti...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ATypeTag.UUID_STRING vs ATypeTag.UUID
Date Fri, 22 Jan 2016 16:49:26 GMT
Hi Taewoo,

I’m still a little confused. To me the type tag is about the type of
the value and it is independent of the serialization. I think that the
serialization should be orthogonal to the type of the value. I.e. we can
have
a) the binary serialization/deserialization that we use internally to
ship/store UUIDs in AsterixDB or we can have
b) the string serialization/deserialization that is used when parsing
external data or printing results.
So in the case of UUIDs we have AUUIDSerializerDeserialize for a) and
code for b) in AUUID.fromString, AUUIDFromStringConstructorDescriptor,
AMutableUUID.fromStringToAMuatbleUUID, and AUUIDPrinter.
So I think that we should be covered (actually a little but too much ..)
for both cases and it seems to me that we should be able to remove
ATypeTag.UUID_STRING without causing damage.

Would you agree or is there something I’m missing?

Cheers,
Till