asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Wail Alkowaileet <wael....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Asterix Schema Provider Framework
Date Thu, 31 Dec 2015 06:26:54 GMT
Hi Chen,

The schema inferencer API currently works on the printer sides (i.e. it's
for the result output). Therefore, the scheme is computed per partition and
when the user asks for the schema, the schemas of all partitions get
"unioned" with some certain policy defined by the implementation of the
schema inferencer API.

The inferencer works per item type. Therefore, for open and closed types
mix, it doesn't matter if the data is homogeneous (i.e there are *no* two
items in the same nesting level having different types) as the resulting
schema will be the union with nullables for the missing fields. However,
for heterogeneous types, it's again up to the API implementation. In Spark
world, heterogeneous types are considered strings and it's up to the user
to parse that string. In Asterix case, we might have a different approach
by utilizing the current built-in union type.

For the "inferred" type, I imagine to have some sort of versioning approach
as described in [1] and build a secondary index on "version_id" instead of
storing the ids in the property-node. That's why I actually asked about the
histograms, which can play a big role about what would be the expected
schema for a query at compile time instead of inspecting every type by the
execution engine. It's a JIT-like compiler for AQL.

I know it sounds "ugly" as it probably requires index and metadata look ups
for every insert. But the whole idea is undercooked and needs more
elaboration to have a good picture if that would be beneficial.

[1]
http://btw-2015.de/res/proceedings/Hauptband/Wiss/Klettke-Schema_Extraction_and_Stru.pdf

Thanks and Happy New Year :-)

--