asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Till Westmann" <ti...@apache.org>
Subject Handling of untyped content
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2015 19:59:03 GMT
Hi,

Ildar has filed ASTERIXDB-1219 in response to a number of issues with
built-in functions that do not handle untyped parameters well. While I
see the problem, I think that the solution should not be to add
conditional code to each implementation.
Instead, I think that we should have functions that guarantee the
correct input type or type conversion (or throw an error) and rely on
the rewriter to ensure that these “enforcing” functions are placed
into the plan only if the type check cannot determine that the correct
input type is provided.
That way the enforcement code would be only in the plan when needed.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Till

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ASTERIXDB-1219