asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Carey <dtab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Random element list accessor
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2015 22:54:55 GMT
Nope, seems like that's how it was randomly implemented.  :-)
Interesting!
We actually need some random number related functions in our built-in
library too!
You caught us with loaded dice.....

On 12/15/15 1:24 PM, Ildar Absalyamov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It was very surprising for me that in addition to regular array-style list accessors
(e.g. list[5]) we support special random element accessor (e.g. list[?]), which according
to documentation should return random element from the list.
> However the current implementation ALWAYS returns the first element from the list.
> Not only this behavior is deterministic, contradicting the semantics of the accessor,
but it is also used in the test cases, where it’s used to access elements in the list, containing
more then 1 item (e.g. asterix-app/src/test/resources/runtimets/queries/custord/customer_q_06/customer_q_06.3.query.aql).

> Is there any reason for such implementation, other than someone trowing a dice and considering
1 to be pretty random number to be used? :)