asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Carey <dtab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Metadata changes
Date Mon, 14 Dec 2015 21:19:46 GMT
I think we started out as a bunch of relation-heads, modeling things
after the system catalogs found in our favorite RDBMSs.  Their record
types are open AFAIK - but I think Steven was saying that it feels like
this is a use case whose field(s) should be predeclared (and using the
term "closed field" to mean predeclared field).  I agree.  I think to
the extent that we can anticipate the need for a given bit of metadata,
it's useful to have it be there in the known schema; but, when we move
into the era when we cannot make changes to the known schema part of the
catalogs, because we have dependent customers who'd be hurt by that, we
will start adding more fields that are not predeclared but only
documented.  The schema for the metadata is really there more as
documentation than as being "truly necessary"...

When we first started out we were just not thinking in an "open-minded"
way on the catalog side of things.....  :-)

Cheers,
Mike