asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Till Westmann" <ti...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Metadata changes
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2015 03:09:56 GMT
On 14 Dec 2015, at 18:55, Murtadha Hubail wrote:

> I think the backward compatibility discussion goes beyond metadata
> indexes and a complete plan that considers everything in storage
> should be developed to support upgrading and patching. Just as an
> example when we did the repacking from edu.uci to org.apache, all
> existing instances on edu.uci wouldn’t work on new binaries due to
> Java serialization on edu.uci classes.

Good point. Do you know if we fixed that or did we just leave it as-is?

> Having said that, I would go with the right long term solution for
> metadata indexes which would’ve been a result of the backward
> compatibility plan if we had one.

I tend to agree here. I think that we’ll need a backwards
compatibility story, even if we choose to be schema-less for all
metadata.
1) Even if the metadata is all flexible, we’ll be able to read the old
metadata, but we’ll need to keep code around to read all versions of
the metadata.
2) If we need to change the file format for the data we’ll also need a
way to realize that (and that would probably affect the metadata as
well).

I think that it might be a good start to add version identifiers to
persisted data structures, so that we’d at least be able to
distinguish different versions (and potentially have the ability to
provide some migration - of needed).

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Till

>> On Dec 14, 2015, at 6:19 PM, Ildar Absalyamov
>> <ildar.absalyamov@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> As for general topic of backwards compatibility I think going
>> “fully open” might be the best longterm solution.
>> Once in a while the topic of changing metadata keeps reappearing and
>> there is no guarantee it will not strike back again. Opening up
>> metadata will release ourselves from burden of producing migration
>> tools and shipping them with the new version of the binaries with
>> revised catalog.
>> The performance (mainly storage) impacts of that solution will be
>> tolerable especially considering how much data is usually stored in
>> metadata.
>> Moreover, being big proponents of semi-structured data, it does make
>> perfect sense for us to eat our own dog food here.
>>
>>> On Dec 14, 2015, at 18:04, Ildar Absalyamov
>>> <ildar.absalyamov@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I guess the main argument for 2 would be eliminating broken metadata
>>> records prior to backwards compatibility cutoff.
>>> The last thing what we want to do is to be stuck with wrong
>>> implementation for compatibility reasons. Once the functionality
>>> needed for 3 is there we can again introduce those indexes without
>>> building sophisticated migration subsystem.

Is