asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ildar Absalyamov <ildar.absalya...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Homogeneous lists with nullable items
Date Fri, 18 Dec 2015 18:01:06 GMT
OK, I will work on design doc.

> On Dec 18, 2015, at 06:45, Mike Carey <dtabass@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Agreed.  We probably need a mini design doc here. The short term urgency seems to be
a need to represent lists that can include nulls, as this is blocking JPL and is also something
easily produced by queries (AQL or SQL++).  Longer term one can imagine where this would be
something that might vary (at the lowest level of detail) by list, e.g., you might represent
dense and sparse lists quite differently, you might use compression for certain kinds of lists,
etc.

> On 12/18/15 1:57 AM, Till Westmann wrote:
>> Hi Ildar,
>>
>> it seems that we have 2 separate points here:
>> 1) There are bugs in the way we decide which list representation to use and
>> 2) we could add support for (and an optimized representation for) a list of a fixed
but nullable type.
>> It seems that - by fixing 1) - we could get rid of the issues you’ve listed.
>>
>> But I also think that it would be nice to support lists of a nullable type (feels
like an omission that we don’t support that in the language) - and potentially provide an
efficient representation for them.
>> However, it is not clear to me how we would do this.
>> A few thoughts:
>> - Would we maintain the current representation for homogenous lists of non-nullable
types?
>> - Would we introduce a new type tag for “nullable lists”?
>> - Would we redefine the current representation to mean something else?
>> Do you have thoughts on those?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Till
>>
>> On 16 Dec 2015, at 8:12, Ildar Absalyamov wrote:
>>
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> Recently I have been playing around with lists and functions, which receive/return
list parameters/values. I have noticed one particular issue, which seems to be incorrect.
>>> As you might know internally we do support 2 types of lists homogeneous, where
all the items are untagged and the item type is stored in type definition, and heterogeneous,
where items on contrary are tagged, and the list item type is effectively ANY.
>>> The decision which of two types would be used is usually done by parser or is
altered by IntroduceEnforcedListTypeRule, which effectively turns heterogenous list into homogenous
if all the items have the same type.
>>> Right now only we allow homogeneous lists to be defined as a field in some type,
we also restrict the item type to be only non-nullable type:
>>> create type listType {
>>> “id”:int64,
>>> “list”:[int64]   // [int64?] is not possible
>>> }
>>>
>>> This constraint spans both of the language level as well as serialization. Under
that restriction the only way to load the list, which contains null values, would be to make
the appropriate field open (open lists are heterogenous by definition).

>>> 1) Seems like we’re missing an optimization opportunity when we are dealing
with large sparse lists. Serialization in this case might use a bit mask to specify which
items in the lists are not null, and later encode only those items.
>>> 2) I believe if we alter IntroduceEnforcedListTypeRule to enforce list to homogeneous
list with nullable item type we might resolve issues https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ASTERIXDB-905,
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ASTERIXDB-867, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ASTERIXDB-1131all
at once.

>>> Thoughts?