asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ildar Absalyamov <ildar.absalya...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Handling of untyped content
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2015 20:37:10 GMT
That will still mean that we’ll have to double the number of functions by creating “enforced”
version of each function, right?
In either case it will introduce additional code. However in the former approach it is going
to be located in only type computers. In ideal world all those type computers should be auto
generated, since it is a bunch of boilerplate code, without any specifics (except for the
type of course). In that case having additional checks there will be tolerable.

> On Dec 9, 2015, at 11:59, Till Westmann <tillw@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Ildar has filed ASTERIXDB-1219 in response to a number of issues with built-in functions
that do not handle untyped parameters well. While I see the problem, I think that the solution
should not be to add conditional code to each implementation.
> Instead, I think that we should have functions that guarantee the correct input type
or type conversion (or throw an error) and rely on the rewriter to ensure that these “enforcing”
functions are placed into the plan only if the type check cannot determine that the correct
input type is provided.
> That way the enforcement code would be only in the plan when needed.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
> Till
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ASTERIXDB-1219