asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Maxon <ima...@uci.edu>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache AsterixDB Hyracks 0.2.16-incubating
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2015 00:07:24 GMT
Here's a revised release candidate. Keys, repo, and so on are the
same, but I've changed the RAT excludes and artifact packaging to
address Till's comments, as well as changing the LICENSE file to
better address some MIT licensed dependencies.

The new RAT excludes are (again, as Apache ANT path expressions):
           **/algebricks-tests/src/test/resources/results/**
           **/javascript/flot/*.js
           **/javascript/jsplumb/*.js
           **/javascript/jquery/*.js
           **/javascript/adminconsole/*.js
           **/stylesheet/jquery-ui/**
           **/hyracks-dist/src/main/resources/conf/**
           **/src/test/resources/data/**
           **/src/test/resources/results/**
           **/src/test/resources/expected/**
           **/testcases/*.piglet
           **/data/**/*.txt
           **/data/**/*.tbl
           **/data/**/*.ddl
           **/data/**/*.tsv
           **/actual/conf.xml
           **/actual/customer_result/part-*
           **/src/main/resources/conf/*
           **/data/dfs/**
           **/invIndex*/**
           **/*.job
           **/*.conf
           **/src/main/resources/*.cleaned
           **/ClusterControllerService/**
           **/output/**
           **/*.iml

The artifact, signature, md5, and sha1 are at:

https://repository.apache.org/service/local/repositories/orgapacheasterix-1006/content/org/apache/hyracks/fullstack/0.2.16-incubating/fullstack-0.2.16-incubating-source-release.zip

https://repository.apache.org/service/local/repositories/orgapacheasterix-1006/content/org/apache/hyracks/fullstack/0.2.16-incubating/fullstack-0.2.16-incubating-source-release.zip.asc

https://repository.apache.org/service/local/repositories/orgapacheasterix-1006/content/org/apache/hyracks/fullstack/0.2.16-incubating/fullstack-0.2.16-incubating-source-release.zip.md5

https://repository.apache.org/service/local/repositories/orgapacheasterix-1006/content/org/apache/hyracks/fullstack/0.2.16-incubating/fullstack-0.2.16-incubating-source-release.zip.sha1

MD5: 25a95411b5332968724a8eb46ae03f2c
SHA1: 4c57f879d97b4f65e4032beed1d80e5ea98cee2e

and are built from commit c30fa934ec44be86c38b5d1d5b5d51c13e5dd41e .
(tagged again, as fullstack-0.2.16-incubating .

Everyone please try validating the release again, and vote:

[ ] +1 release this package as Apache AsterixDB Hyracks 0.2.16-incubating
[ ] +0 no opinion regarding package release
[ ] -1 do not release this package because ...

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 7:59 AM, Till Westmann <tillw@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Ate,
>
> we can certainly add a NOTICE file, but I’m confused about the policy documentation
here.
> The Licensing How-to [1] points to the "Source Header and Copyright Notice Policy”
[2] (I guess that’s the source of truth on the subject …), which states that
>   "Every Apache distribution should include a NOTICE file in the top directory”
> and the license [3] says
>   “If the Work includes a NOTICE text file as part of its distribution […]”.
> Also, I didn’t find anything on the requirement of a NOTICE file in [4].
> If the NOTICE is always required, it seems that policy [2] should state
>   “Every Apache distribution MUST include a NOTICE file in the top directory"
>
> Any idea why that’s not the case or where the actual requirement is codified?
>
> Thanks,
> Till
>
> [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html <http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html>
> [2] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html <http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html>
> [3] http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 <http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0>
> [4] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html <http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html>
>
>> On Sep 9, 2015, at 2:54 AM, Ate Douma <ate@douma.nu> wrote:
>>
>> Hi team,
>>
>> Sorry for chiming in so late, and to be clear I haven't had time to do an actual
review of the release candidate(s) yet.

>> But one specific issue is I think important to point out concerning "we don't need
the NOTICE file".

>> For ASF releases a NOTICE file is ALWAYS required, and as a minimum "includes a copyright
and attribution statement for The Apache Software Foundation".

>> For further info, and everything related/required for a incubator release, see:
>> - http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html
>> - http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-license
>> - http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-notice
>>
>> And for ASF release policy requirements in general:
>> - http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html
>>
>> I'll try to find hopefully some time later this week for a proper review from a policy/requirements
perspective (I cannot attest to have the technical knowledge (yet) for a functional validation/review).

>> Regards, Ate

>>> Most things look good:
>>> - hashes ok
>>> - signature ok
>>> - DISCLAIMER ok
>>> - no unexpected binary files
>>> - all source files have headers
>>> - archive agrees with tag
>>>
>>> However I think that
>>> 1) we don’t need the NOTICE file as we don’t include source code that requires
a notice and
>>> 2) we need to add the MIT license for jsplumb (https://jsplumbtoolkit.com/license),
jquery (https://jquery.org/license/), and flot (https://github.com/flot/flot/blob/master/LICENSE.txt).
>>> Looking at http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps I think
that we should just add those to the LICENSE file.
>>> For both of these points I wouldn’t mind to get some feedback, if I didn’t
get it right :)

>>> Also, I think that it would be good to
>>> 1) include the git commit in the vote e-mail as the tag can be modified and
>>> 2) trim the list of RAT excludes to
>>>     algebricks/algebricks-tests/src/test/resources/results
>>>     hyracks/hyracks-control/hyracks-control-cc/src/main/resources/static/javascript
>>>     hyracks/hyracks-control/hyracks-control-cc/src/main/resources/static/stylesheet
>>>     hyracks/hyracks-dist/src/main/resources/conf
>>>     hyracks/hyracks-hdfs/hyracks-hdfs-core/src/test/resources/data
>>>     hyracks/hyracks-hdfs/hyracks-hdfs-core/src/test/resources/expected
>>>     hyracks/hyracks-storage-am-common/src/main/resources
>>>     (at least that would have covered all the files that don’t have a license
in my RAT report for the unzipped source archive)
>>> 3) ensure that “mvn package" runs through with tests.
>>>     For me the hyracks-integration-tests failed as apparently the data files
are missing. One of the execution I saw was