asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Maxon <ima...@uci.edu>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache AsterixDB Hyracks 0.2.16-incubating
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2015 00:41:44 GMT
EDIT: The release commit is actually
d858943332542919431bd9e589e5c22ecedf4c3f :)
c30fa934ec44be86c38b5d1d5b5d51c13e5dd41e is the successor (i.e. next
snapshot).

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 5:07 PM, Ian Maxon <imaxon@uci.edu> wrote:
> Here's a revised release candidate. Keys, repo, and so on are the
> same, but I've changed the RAT excludes and artifact packaging to
> address Till's comments, as well as changing the LICENSE file to
> better address some MIT licensed dependencies.
>
> The new RAT excludes are (again, as Apache ANT path expressions):
>            **/algebricks-tests/src/test/resources/results/**
>            **/javascript/flot/*.js
>            **/javascript/jsplumb/*.js
>            **/javascript/jquery/*.js
>            **/javascript/adminconsole/*.js
>            **/stylesheet/jquery-ui/**
>            **/hyracks-dist/src/main/resources/conf/**
>            **/src/test/resources/data/**
>            **/src/test/resources/results/**
>            **/src/test/resources/expected/**
>            **/testcases/*.piglet
>            **/data/**/*.txt
>            **/data/**/*.tbl
>            **/data/**/*.ddl
>            **/data/**/*.tsv
>            **/actual/conf.xml
>            **/actual/customer_result/part-*
>            **/src/main/resources/conf/*
>            **/data/dfs/**
>            **/invIndex*/**
>            **/*.job
>            **/*.conf
>            **/src/main/resources/*.cleaned
>            **/ClusterControllerService/**
>            **/output/**
>            **/*.iml
>
> The artifact, signature, md5, and sha1 are at:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/service/local/repositories/orgapacheasterix-1006/content/org/apache/hyracks/fullstack/0.2.16-incubating/fullstack-0.2.16-incubating-source-release.zip
>
> https://repository.apache.org/service/local/repositories/orgapacheasterix-1006/content/org/apache/hyracks/fullstack/0.2.16-incubating/fullstack-0.2.16-incubating-source-release.zip.asc
>
> https://repository.apache.org/service/local/repositories/orgapacheasterix-1006/content/org/apache/hyracks/fullstack/0.2.16-incubating/fullstack-0.2.16-incubating-source-release.zip.md5
>
> https://repository.apache.org/service/local/repositories/orgapacheasterix-1006/content/org/apache/hyracks/fullstack/0.2.16-incubating/fullstack-0.2.16-incubating-source-release.zip.sha1
>
> MD5: 25a95411b5332968724a8eb46ae03f2c
> SHA1: 4c57f879d97b4f65e4032beed1d80e5ea98cee2e
>
> and are built from commit c30fa934ec44be86c38b5d1d5b5d51c13e5dd41e .
> (tagged again, as fullstack-0.2.16-incubating .
>

> Everyone please try validating the release again, and vote:
>
> [ ] +1 release this package as Apache AsterixDB Hyracks 0.2.16-incubating
> [ ] +0 no opinion regarding package release
> [ ] -1 do not release this package because ...
>
> On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 7:59 AM, Till Westmann <tillw@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi Ate,
>>
>> we can certainly add a NOTICE file, but I’m confused about the policy documentation
here.
>> The Licensing How-to [1] points to the "Source Header and Copyright Notice Policy”
[2] (I guess that’s the source of truth on the subject …), which states that
>>   "Every Apache distribution should include a NOTICE file in the top directory”
>> and the license [3] says
>>   “If the Work includes a NOTICE text file as part of its distribution […]”.
>> Also, I didn’t find anything on the requirement of a NOTICE file in [4].
>> If the NOTICE is always required, it seems that policy [2] should state
>>   “Every Apache distribution MUST include a NOTICE file in the top directory"
>>
>> Any idea why that’s not the case or where the actual requirement is codified?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Till
>>
>> [1] http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html <http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html>
>> [2] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html <http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html>
>> [3] http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 <http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0>
>> [4] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html <http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html>
>>
>>> On Sep 9, 2015, at 2:54 AM, Ate Douma <ate@douma.nu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi team,
>>>
>>> Sorry for chiming in so late, and to be clear I haven't had time to do an actual
review of the release candidate(s) yet.

>>> But one specific issue is I think important to point out concerning "we don't
need the NOTICE file".

>>> For ASF releases a NOTICE file is ALWAYS required, and as a minimum "includes
a copyright and attribution statement for The Apache Software Foundation".

>>> For further info, and everything related/required for a incubator release, see:
>>> - http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html
>>> - http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-license
>>> - http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-notice
>>>
>>> And for ASF release policy requirements in general:
>>> - http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html
>>>
>>> I'll try to find hopefully some time later this week for a proper review from
a policy/requirements perspective (I cannot attest to have the technical knowledge (yet) for
a functional validation/review).

jquery (https://jquery.org/license/), and flot (https://github.com/flot/flot/blob/master/LICENSE.txt).
I think that we should just add those to the LICENSE file.

in my RAT report for the unzipped source archive)
are missing. One of the execution I saw was