asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hillery <chill...@hillery.land>
Subject Re: Merging vs. squashing
Date Thu, 24 Sep 2015 07:01:31 GMT
On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 11:38 PM, Chen Li <chenli@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just want to echo what Ted said: if the same commit exists in two
> different branches, then there is no issue when we merge these two
> branches into the master.  In fact, if branch A has all the commits of
> branch B, after we merge branch A into the master, git will
> automatically think branch B is already merged into the master.

This is true, and one of the key benefits to the merge scenario. However, I
feel it's important to point out again that a cherry-picked commit is *NOT*
"the same commit" as far as git is concerned, so if you cherry-pick from A
to B then A and B do not have the same commits. It may be that git merge
and/or rebase can detect cherry-picks and handle them better than
completely exploding. But if you think of them as the "same commit", you're
giving yourself a bad understanding of what's actually going on, and that
will eventually bite you.

(I know you didn't specifically mention cherry-picking, Chen, but in the
context of Jianfeng's and Ted's earlier messages I think it's still a point
that bears repeating.)

Ceej
aka Chris Hillery