asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hillery <chill...@hillery.land>
Subject Re: Merging vs. squashing
Date Fri, 25 Sep 2015 00:52:43 GMT
On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 11:05 AM, Jianfeng Jia <jianfeng.jia@gmail.com>
wrote:

> If we can somehow enforce the rebase before merge, then I think it won’t
> have the merge “tree” problem.

Actually the merge-tree problem was introduced in a situation where a part
of a branch was cherry-picked to master. It would also happen if part of a
branch were cherry-picked over to another branch (like you wanted to do
with Taewoo's branch) and then both were eventually merged to master. In a
normal scenario this wouldn't happen, with or without rebasing the feature
branch before merge.

As for whether "rebase before merge" should be enforced, I'm in favor of it
personally. I'm even in favor of doing local interactive rebases with
selective squashing and so forth to "clean up" local branch history before
merging - although as always, this is destructively rewriting history and
therefore should not be done if the branch was shared with anyone else.

Ceej
aka Chris Hillery