asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From "Till Westmann" <ti...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Merging vs. squashing
Date Thu, 24 Sep 2015 01:01:33 GMT
I’m certainly not an expert on git as I never took the time (or
needed) to dive deeply into it.

Reading this thread it seems to me that we have a number of reasonable
wishes what we would like to do (e.g. squash commits to get a readable
history for the master branch, cherry-pick between branches to avoid
duplicate work, …) but it seems that there’s no obvious way to
achieve all of them.

If that’s indeed the case, we’d have to decide which wish is more
important and I think that different people will have different opinions
on this. Since I’m a big fan of readable history (and seeing the
result of a code review in the master history as opposed to a number of
intermediate steps), I’m pretty happy with the current state of the
world.

Given the problem of having a subset of code that could benefit 2
branches I would try to separate it out, review and merge it to master,
and to merge master back into the 2 branches. However, I see that this
could be a lot of work and there could be reasons why is is not
feasible.

Just my 2c (to have more people chiming in :) )
Till

On 23 Sep 2015, at 15:38, Chris Hillery wrote:

> P.S. I'd love it if anyone else with opinions or experience would
> chime in
> here... I'm pretty sure I don't have all the answers, so I don't want
> seem like I'm trying to dictate the discussion.
>
> Ceej
> aka Chris Hillery
>
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 3:38 PM, Chris Hillery <chillery@hillery.land>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Jianfeng Jia
>> <jianfeng.jia@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I hit another similar scenario that squash may make things harder.
>>>
>>> Now I’m working the UTF8 encoding task. Some part of work has been
>>> done
>>> in Taewoo’s branch. But his branch is a bigger change that won’t
>>> get into
>>> master
>>> soon. I’d like to cherry-pick several commits from his branch and
>>> then