asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jianfeng Jia <jianfeng....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Commit message proposal
Date Fri, 18 Sep 2015 03:59:17 GMT
Second the proposal first. It is a good way to track the git with jira.

Another separate but related thought, since we enforce the commit message format, e.g. starting
with jira ticket,
can we just rebase but do NOT squash the commit when merging into the master?
Then the commit is more atomic. It’s easy to pick/merge across the different branches.

In my case, right now I’m facing the merging problem which is not only caused by the package
name changes
but also that my personal feature branches dependent on each other.

Let’s say, I’m finishing working on A, and also I have ongoing branches B which is based
on some parts of A.
After review of A, all A’s commits are squashed to master. At that time I have to merge
master to B,
but git can’t find the shared part anymore. In contrast, it showed the false “conflicts”
everywhere.

If we keep the initial atomic commits, git will know the shared parts. And also, since we
link the commits
by ticket name, we don’t need to squash them together in order to know which commit is doing
what.
Does it make sense?

Best,

Jianfeng Jia