asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From abdullah alamoudi <bamou...@gmail.com>
Subject Point3: Growing the community
Date Sat, 08 Aug 2015 06:04:23 GMT
Hi everyone,
In the August 2015 incubator report, the 3rd issue to address before
graduation is growing the AsterixDB community.

Since we entered the incubator, at least two members wanted to join the
community and contribute only to end up disappearing. Getting acquainted
with the codebase seems like a difficult task for new comers and I think we
should make it a little bit easier.

I know this is long overdue and someone promised in the ancient past to
prepare an entry document for new contributor (Who was it?). I am aware
that we all are busy addressing issues, working on new features, running
some experiments, writing a paper, etc. but we can still work towards this
in small steps.

My suggestion is that someone create an outline of how that document will
be and then publish it in some location where we all have a chance to
contribute (Maybe the AsterixDB website in the documentation branch?). Once
we have that, whenever somebody spends some time in a new area of the code,
they should contribute to the document and we should eventually get there.

Cheers,
Amoudi, Abdullah.