asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hillery <chill...@hillery.land>
Subject Will it go 'round in circles?
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2015 10:23:37 GMT
(I'm pulling this bit of conversation out from the JSON discussion so it
doesn't get overlooked - it has nothing to do with JSON, but with ADM
primitive types.)

I've noticed that several geospatial serialization formats (at least
"well-known text" and GeoJSON) omit "circle" from their list of basic
geometric forms, even when they have numerous more complex types such as
multi-curves. This led me to here:
http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?23,148162,152625#msg-152625

which offers a reasonably compelling argument for why "circle" is not a
reasonable shape to discuss in geospatial contexts (loosely, because
there's no consistent way to map that to a spherical coordinate system).

Does this mean that perhaps ADM shouldn't *have* a "circle" primitive type?
I assume that the ADM spatial types are intended for geospatial work, and
if the consensus of the smart people is that "circle" doesn't fit in that
world, perhaps we shouldn't include it either?

Ceej
aka Chris Hillery