asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Carey <dtab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: bug: string-concat
Date Fri, 14 Aug 2015 19:57:17 GMT
PS (to my previous note) - I suspect this function is assuming the bits
it's passed are a string, and not checking to ensure that first.  One
question related to this would be whether the desired behavior on the
second record would be a runtime type error or the treatment of the
offending data as null (which then raises the issue of null semantics
for functions) - I would be inclined (w/o too much thought yet) to say
that this should raise a runtime type error.  Another question related
to this is whether the author of each function should have to handle
wrong types and nulls for each parameter each time - or live in a
function invocation wrapping framework that provides some default
answers for those behaviors?  Thoughts?