asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Maxon <ima...@uci.edu>
Subject Re: Issue 910 in asterixdb: Index creation/use can cause resource leakage
Date Wed, 22 Jul 2015 07:58:03 GMT
Index open/close is probably fine. I haven't traced it in a debugger
or anything, but I believe it would just look up the index in the map
rather than creating a new object. The only way to create a leak is to
create many unique indexes within an NC's lifetime.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 12:39 AM, Mike Carey <dtabass@gmail.com> wrote:
> But my guess is that there's similar unfortunate behavior related to index
> open and close...?
> (Which would happen way more regularly?)  Agreed w.r.t. priority if we are
> in "prototype" mode,
> but if anyone wanted to go "live" and run for months at a time, this would
> be a leak we'd feel,
> potentially.  We need to devise and do some testing around index/memory
> management and
> the lifecycle there.  :-)
>
> On 7/22/15 12:25 AM, abdullah alamoudi wrote:
>>
>> It should be fixed but I don't think that it is a release blocker since
>> this rarely happen and the amount of memory per index instance object is
>> almost nothing.
>>
>> just my 2 cents.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 10:10 AM, Michael Carey <mjcarey@ics.uci.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Definitely a high priority bug - we should try to fix this pre-release!

>>> map. Entries in this map are only freed once unregister() is called on an
>>> index. However this only happens when an index is destroyed, not when it
>>> is
>>> closed. There is no other way in which references to indexes are garbage