asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Maxon <ima...@uci.edu>
Subject Re: Unable to create an instance
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2015 01:01:54 GMT
Ah, a fellow fish user :) I have had the same issues, for the same reason then.
Basically, the root of the cause is that Managix assume(d) wrongly, in
many situations, that bash was the default shell. For example the
script I pointed at, you probably noticed it lacked a shebang- hence
the default interpreter is used, which is not exactly predictable.

I did submit a patch for this exact issue (
https://github.com/apache/incubator-asterixdb/commit/d8071eeb203bdd63bc5d1b59d3100c0f9d2069d8)
, and it got merged, but it doesn't seem to solve the problem
completely. There are probably other instances of assuming bash is the
default shell, in the Java part of Managix rather than the scripted
part. One thing I suppose that could be tried, is to use the latest
snapshot version (or just apply the changes from that manually).
Whenever I must use managix though, I typically am forced to switch to
bash for a while.

In lieu of changing shells (which is painful and cumbersome...), it
might be easier to try just running AsterixDB locally, without
managix, since it's not necessary in this case:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9fobkjZFASiZnRIWVZ0Z3ZnUG8 . This
is a packaging that is simpler to run, just for demo purposes. All you
have to do is extract the archive, and then cd into the bin/ folder
and run asterix.sh. It will start up a CC and 2 NCs. To exit just
Ctrl+C and it will shut down all 3 started processes.

Thanks,
- Ian