asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Maxon <ima...@uci.edu>
Subject Re: [IMPORTANT] Git issues
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2015 22:47:14 GMT
Hi Jochen,

We use Gerrit as a code review platform. It works pretty well I would
say. The way we had it set up at one point pre-incubation (which was
preferable, and AFAIK impossible in ASF) was that nobody could
directly commit to the "reference" repository. It had to go through
Gerrit, and be reviewed and verified, and then submitted. The reason
for this mixup is that now folks have to take the commits from Gerrit,
and submit them to the ASF repo outside of Gerrit, instead of it being
a commit hook. As with anything git, this part is kind of like working
with a loaded gun. We have a script that makes this easier and less
error-prone, but there's a corner case apparently where where one can
submit things that aren't actually verified in Gerrit (or the script
wasn't used, not sure which).

- Ian