asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hillery <chill...@hillery.land>
Subject Re: [IMPORTANT] Git issues
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2015 08:33:17 GMT
No attitude was intended. I was typing on my phone in the doctor's waiting
room so I tried to be concise. Apologies if it came across badly.

I stand by what I said, though. I don't think the problem is Gerrit (not
that Gerrit doesn't have its fair share of problems). The problem is having
unrestricted write access to the canonical repository, compounded by rules
that prevent fixing mistakes when they are inevitably made. And my best
suggestion for complying with these ASF infra rules while maintaining a
safe and sane working method is to have devs, as a day-to-day standard
process, set their upstream "origin" remote be set to the read-only Github
mirror.

The discussion of whether Gerrit can fit into the ASF rules at all is, I
think, a completely orthogonal discussion, although both discussions need
to reach a conclusion before we can all be comfortably working again. There
is a separate thread regarding Gerrit already, so I'd suggest continuing
that discussion there.

Ceej
aka Chris Hillery