asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tasks remaining for release
Date Tue, 07 Jul 2015 10:51:33 GMT
On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 8:36 AM, Till Westmann <tillw@apache.org> wrote:

>> On Jul 3, 2015, at 3:42 AM, Ian Maxon <imaxon@uci.edu> wrote:
>>
>> We are close to having a release ready, but there's a few things left
>> on the checklist before we can cut the first Apache release. I think
>> most things on this list are underway, but I'll put them here just for
>> reference/visibility. Comments and thoughts are welcomed.
>>
>> - Build stability after merging YARN and Feeds seems to have seriously
>> declined. It's hard to get a build to go through to the end without
>> going OOM at all now honestly, so this is a Problem. I think it may be
>> related to Feeds, but even after disabling the tests
>> (https://asterix-gerrit.ics.uci.edu/#/c/312/), I still see it.
>> Therefore I am not precisely sure what is going on, but it only
>> started to happen after we merged those two features. It's not exactly
>> obvious to me where the memory leak is coming from. @Raman, it would
>> be great to get your advice/thoughts on this.
>
> Yes, please. I think that build stability in general are a big problem.
> And OOM issues specifically seem to be against AsterixDBs goal of not falling over when
memory gets tight.
> So we probably should not release, if that’s something that everybody has a high chance
of running into on first try.

>> - Metadata name changes and Metadata caching consistency fixes are
>> underway by Ildar.
>>
>> - The repackaging and license checker patches still need to be merged
>> in, but this should happen after the above two features are merged.
>> They are otherwise ready for review though.
>>
>> - Now that Feeds is merged, the Apache website should be changed to
>> the new version that has been in draft form for a few weeks now.
>> Before it may have been a little premature, but now it should be
>> accurate. The documentation site should also be reverted to its prior
>> state, before it was quickly patched to serve as an interim website.
>
> Actually, I think that we should find a better way to merge the documentation and the
website as they both are based on markdown and so it should be feasible to use the same translation
to HTML for both. I’m not sure how much work that is and if that’s a option for the release,
but I think that it would be good if we could agree that that’s the goal.

--
Any world that can produce the Taj Mahal, William Shakespeare,
and Stripe toothpaste can't be all bad. (C.R. MacNamara, One Two Three)