asterixdb-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Carey <dtab...@gmail.com>
Subject How's this for our BOSS workshop overview?
Date Mon, 13 Jul 2015 21:51:30 GMT
All,

We will be showing our stuff at the BOSS Workshop in Hawaii on the last
day of VLDB week there.
Here's what I've written up - comments?  (Anyone else wanting to be a
co-presenter?  I will tweak
the list accordingly.)  We'll soon figure out how to use our time - but
it's basically a half-day type
tutorial on the system, hands on - we'll help attendees all install and
use AsterixDB.  Should be a
lot of fun!

Cheers,
Mike

PS - I need to send this to Tilmann Rabi, the organizer, by this evening
- so this is a quick call for last-minute input and then I'll send it
off to him.  Thx!

APACHE ASTERIXDB

AsterixDB is a BDMS (Big Data Management System) with a rich feature set
that sets it apart from other Big Data platforms such as Big Data
Analytics Systems and NoSQL stores. Its features make it well-suited to
applications including web data warehousing, social data storage and
analysis, and other use cases related to Big Data. AsterixDB has a
flexible NoSQL style data model; a declarative query language that
supports a wide range of queries; a scalable runtime system;
partitioned, LSM-based data storage and indexing (including B+ tree, R
tree, and text indexes); support for external as well as native data; a
rich set of built-in types, including spatial, temporal, and textual
types; support for fuzzy, spatial, and temporal queries; a built-in
notion of data feeds for ingestion of data; and, last but not least,
transaction support akin to that of a NoSQL store. Co-developed by
researchers at UC Irvine and UC Riverside, Apache AsterixDB is now
undergoing incubation at The Apache Software Foundation (ASF) and has
contributors and early adopters from multiple institutions both within
and beyond the UC System.

PRESENTERS

Yingyi Bu (UC Irvine)
Michael Carey (UC Irvine)